Saturday, October 21, 2017

Getting ready for my trip to Catalina!



Hello to all!  The countdown is on, twelve more days until I leave for my Earthwatch trip to Catalina Island, where I will help collect data for the scientists working on the island monitoring the ocean's health.  I will help scientists  record the number of marine mammals such as California sea lions, gray whales, and common dolphins; collect water samples; survey the inhabitants of the intertidal zone; and observe the ways in which humans use this pristine habitat. A goal is to contribute to Pacific coast datasets and help to conserve a valuable marine ecosystem.

I will fly out from San Jose after teaching on November 2 to Long Beach and be ready to meet my fellow teachers  and researchers at the Southern California Marine Institute at 7 the following morning.
There we will embark on the USC ferry to Catalina Island, a hour and half trip.  Hopefully, I won't get seasick as I do sometimes!

Thinking about what I want to bring back to the classroom,  the effects of global warming on the ocean is definitely an interest of mine.  This is a topic I hope to learn more about from the scientists on the island.


No comments:

Post a Comment